As always, my New Year’s resolution is, “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.” ….but don’t get arrested. Also, “Be fearless in pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” …but don’t practice arson.
I plan to check off the following as the year goes by:
- Get scuba certified at Uncle Joe’s Scuba.
- Donate to wildlife organizations and relief groups regularly, even if it’s not much.
- Get at least two more short stories published.
- Wake up earlier when I don’t have to, and dedicate more time to writing.
- Sleep more. I know this contradicts #4, but somehow I will manage.
- Start a travel-specific savings account.
- Buy more books from independent Pittsburgh book shops like Nine Stories, Penguin, and White Whale.
- Eat more pizza.
- Pet more puppies.
- Read more books.
- Drink more wine.
- Hike a portion of the Appalachian Trail.
- Own less.
- Don’t be jaded.
- Make some stupid decisions that lead to incredible stories.
- Practice aerial silks like the circus performer I am at heart.
- Become friends with people who think differently than I do.
- Give myself a break.
We lost a lot of heroes and icons this year, but remember, 2016 wasn’t stealing all the cool people. That’s just how life works – you live ’til you die. SO MAKE THIS YEAR COUNT…but please, for the love of God, don’t get arrested.